Thursday, April 28, 2011

Math Class

During Pre-Calculus this morning, I had one of those I-am-extremely-lucky-to-be-getting-this-education moments. And as someone who wants to be a teacher, watching so much enthusiasm come from the teachers around me was comforting and fun.

Ms. Nelson set up an experiment involving launching grapes with a spoon and translated into a system of equations with three quadratic functions. I missed the first part of this, so I’m not sure where the numbers came from. Mr. Taylor was there to explain the physics to us and show us how it takes us right back to the quadratic functions, and also how it involves two parabolas. Then, Mr. Bailey explained it to us from a Calculus perspective and told us about the next step we will take when we move in to Calculus. While they collaborated and made so many connections, we all just sat and tried to take it all in. To be honest, I don’t feel like I completely understand and I definitely wouldn’t be able to spit it back out, but just being there and watching the excitement (especially from Mr. Taylor) was special.

No comments:

Post a Comment