Sunday, May 15, 2011

Annual DAIS Conference hosted at Riverdale

Diversity Awareness Initiative for Students is an organization that plans an opportunity to discuss issues of diversity on Friday of every month. I have been to a few of these meetings throughout the past couple of years, but I know that a few of the Junior and Sophomore go to these meetings regularly. It’s a great time to speak up and connect with students from other independent schools around the city. The last meeting is this Friday, May 20th at Packer Collegiate to discuss how the conference went and to acknowledge the seniors during their very last DAIS meeting. If you’re planning on attending meetings next year, check out http://www.daisorg.org/.

At this Conference, I attended two workshops: “The Minority Table” and “Born this Way”, which was a discussion on homosexuality. I loved both discussions and how seriously they were taken. A lot of great things were said, and it was nice to see how open/ comfortable other schools are compared to Riverdale. I’m proud to say that I spoke up at both, which never happened in a past DAIS Conference. The Talent Show had a few technical difficulties, but was still a good time. It was nice to see Danielle represent with her beautiful dancing. Dinner was yummy, and even though I left the dance early, I hear that most people had a great time.

dais P5130461 P5130449 P5130462 P5130465 P5130470 P5130474 P5130463 P5130477 P5130476 P5130471 P5130460 P5140513

It was nice to see so much color on campus and spend some extra time with my favorite people. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment