Sunday, May 15, 2011

HOLA/BSA Assembly: Voices

One of my proudest moments ever. For those who weren’t there, for our assembly we collected “blurbs” from all of the HOLA and BSA (Black Student Alliance) members about their general thoughts on Riverdale or specific experiences/moments that stand out to them. Then, we had someone else read it aloud during the assembly, so that it could be anonymous, but still feel personal and be someone’s true voice. We actually didn’t plan this, but Ms. Quarshie opened it up for discussion right there in the theater, and that was probably the best part for me. I also made a fool out of myself during both of my “solos” on stage, but that’s nothing new. I proud of myself though; I spoke up.

In HOLA this week, we’re going to have a discussion about how it felt, any reactions (positive or negative), how it could’ve have been better, etc.

Another favorite part:

I must give myself, Nijai, and Ms. Quarshie props for putting so much time into this assembly. Also, I’ve never loved the energy of HOLA and BSA more. I know this was difficult for some people, so I’m proud of us.

P5090348

A HUGE THANK YOU to Chelsea for taking photos and recording every single part of this assembly, including the discussion after. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment